31 July 2007

Teaching has a way of making you feel like you have been at it forever when really it is just the second day of school.

I learned as much today as yesterday, which is a good thing. Rehearsing the beginning of the day was a good thing I think. And dismissal went much better today. It really does take almost ten minutes to get everyone packed up and ready to go. I think it is better to have plenty of time to makes sure that everyone knows what their homework is and what they need to bring back and get the chairs up, etc. The kids did a fantastic job walking to P.E. alone. They were so proud of themselves for it. Math at the end of the day was a success, in its own way. Something still needs to fall into place with that math. I am thinking about ways to just integrate the math almost 100%. The fifth grade boys could use it, the fifth grade girls are smart enough to handle it. It might just work. I also feel like my fourth graders are mature enough to handle hearing some of that fifth grade material. I am going to look at it closely over the weekend and think it over some more.

Writing was interesting today. I don't think they kids are used to writing everyday or in the way that I want them to. I wanted them to make a list of things they would want to write about and I showed them two examples and some of them still didn't quite get it. Oh well, at least they are writing. We will get there. Tomorrow we are going to do a writing assignment where they are going to use their new science vocabulary in a piece of their writing. It kind of fits into the word choice part of the six traits writing.

Tomorrow is the first day of reading groups. I plan on going over routines with them, practicing setting up our papers, talking about the book we will be using. I have more kids in my reading group than in my class I think.

Seriously, I was at school for 12 hours today and I think I could have stayed longer. I can't wait for the day that I feel confident enough to walk out the door as soon as the contract day is over. You know what they say, plan and plan some more.

Love,
Ms. Bee

No comments: