30 July 2007

Go Giants!


Things went pretty well today. I would say the number of things that went well is greater than the number of things that went poorly. It was a long day, only one special. So that means that a lot of things went right!

I feel like I greeted everyone and their parents well. I got to have a quick word with some of the English speaking parents. The students seemed to enjoy doing some poetry stuff in the morning and it got them talking. The math lesson was a good try for the two grades. We will keep working on it. I have some really helpful fifth grade girls that I think are going to be all over me if I don't give them what they need. It will be nice working with them.

Tomorrow I really want to hit the morning procedures and end of the day procedures. I really want to hit those hard. I think when the kids come in I am going to have them keep their backpacks and everything and give them more of a step by step visual of what needs to happen in the morning and what I expect them to be able to do independently. And the end of the day can only get better compared to today. First of all we are going to practice. Second of all, we are going to get ready to leave sooner. And last, I am going to line them up based on where they need to go at the end of the day. I think those three things should help make the end of the day run more smoothly.

My class is an interesting mix. There are some incredibly bright fourth graders I can just tell. They finish their work quickly, they ask good questions, they want to participate in class. It is excellent. The fifth grade boys, every single one of them, are SLOW!!!! The girls are sharp but the boys are hilariously pokey. Like little snails. I am going to have to work hard to motivate them. It is frustrating because the math work is so independent and I can't be right there encouraging them when I am busy teaching the fourth grade lesson. We'll get better at it though.

Of course, I love my class already! They aren't first graders but even fourth and fifth graders can win my heart. And the first graders now second graders were adorable today! They think they are so grown up now...

Love,
Ms. Bee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Lezzzzr; you sound so excited about everything you are doing. It is so cool to hear about it. Also I cried when I saw that you had your pic taken at your front door on your first day of achool with your back pack. Of course I remember many such pics of you as started many first days of school. What a circle you are creating. Love you..........

Unknown said...

Hooray Giants!

Beth said...

Yay Ms. Bee!! Congratulations on completing your first day of school!

Miss Bee said...

Thanks everyone for posting!