10 November 2009

Farm Fresh Frittata

My friend Katie's mom raises chickens at her house in Boulder Creek, California. While she was visiting last week I gave her an earful, as I have been known to do, about how I dream of someday having my own coop full of beautiful chickens delivering wonderful eggs to me each day. Lucky for Mr. S and me, she sent her husband with some this week! The result...

Potatoes, onion and bell pepper.


Delicious mustard from Whole foods


The crown jewel...the eggs!


And the glorious, delicious finished product. (I'm glad I photographed it before I flipped it over to brown the other side because it fell apart)
This recipe is from one of the summer Vegetarian Times issues:

How to:

Ingredients
4 red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 medium onion, diced.
1 red bell pepper diced.
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups basil leaves or in my case much much more.
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 eggs
3 egg whites
3/4 grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oil over medium heat. Saute potatoes, onion, and bell pepper until potatoes start to brown. About 15 minutes.
2. While that is going on, put garlic and basil into a food processor and pulse until chopped. Add flour and mustard and pulse to combine. Add eggs, egg whites, and cheese and blend until frothy.
3. Combine with potato mixture in a large bowl.
4. Heat more oil over medium low heat and pour mixture in. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. After ten minutes lift edges slightly and allow uncooked egg to get to the bottom of the pan. Cover and continue to cook about 10 more minutes.
6. Now the tricky part. Run a spatula around the edges and underneath to get it nice and loose. Flip the frittata onto a large plate. If this is successful, slide it back into the pan to brown the second side. If unsuccessful, just throw the pieces back in and continue to brown. Both ways are delicious!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: