10 August 2007

Science Fridays!

For some reason I did not feel like I was going to succeed today but things turned out well. Looking back, today was not a whole lot more than a science Friday because the only other subject that got a lot of attention was math. There was so much math today! A full lesson for both grades, plus a written test for both grades! Doesn't that seem unreasonable? So, I went ahead with the lesson in the morning and didn't try to rush to get the test in as well. Then, after lunch we did the test. I still haven't graded them but I am interested to see how they did. It took a LONG time for some of those kids to finish that thing and I am really glad that I didn't set them up to rush because of reading group or something.
I did a science experiment with them today. And I actually used the things that I learned in my science methods class. I did not think that would ever happen but it dawned on me that some of it would actually be helpful. I had each group member get a job, set a time limit for things, and then just stepped back and let them "inquire." Ha. There wasn't a lot of inquiry really. We were making paper airplanes and tests flying them. But I walked around and asked them little guiding questions and things were organized and they worked as a group and it was pretty cool. I gave them fifteen minutes to plan and fold their plane. Then we stopped and everyone watched while each group flew their planes. I say it was a success. It might have gotten a little long when we were flying the planes but I don't care. It was a good starting place for group work, it didn't get out of control, the kids had fun, and maybe they learned something. And maybe they will make paper airplanes this weekend instead of watching T.V.

I love Friday.

Love,
Miss Bee

No comments: