25 October 2010

October 23

On Saturday we did something so cool! The Desert Botanical Garden, just 10 minutes from our house, had thousands of little guests. The monarchs stopping off on their way to Mexico for the Winter. It was so incredibly awesome. I have always, since I was little and someone gave me this really old National Geographic on the topic, wanted to see the monarchs. (Sorry, it is the only picture I could find. For some reason you can't search their archives.) It was as great as I thought it would be. They were everywhere and they were so photogenic. And, as crazy as this seems, this months Nat. Geo. is all about great migrations. Check it out here.
Not only was it so cool to see the monarchs, but we were lucky enough to go with this little girl. My friend Stephanie's daughter and I have a special bond and she is quite the entomologist - she loves all bugs, even the disgusting ones. She was the perfect person to experience this with. She could not keep herself from touching them even though it was against the rules.
An added bonus of the day is that Mr. S. and I became members of the Gardens. Now we are officially old...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: