05 May 2008

An Idea...

Field day is coming up this wednesday and it is really an effective motivator for the kids to behave. They know if they don't follow directions I am not going to take them out to field day.

So that made me have the idea to have a monthly celebration that as a class we would schedule each month at the end of the month. At this celebration we could have lunch together, students could share some writing they have done, they could share a book they have been practicing; things like that. I think it would be a fun, interesting way for the kids to share what they have been up to with their classmates and also help them monitor their behavior. If they are behaving poorly, they can't come to the celebration. I think it is worth pursuing. We could invite parents to come and that would help them feel connected.

Today was pretty low key. We are studying space and their questions are too funny. Erick wanted to know why when you are at the bottom of the Earth you don't fall off. I pretty distinctly remember asking my dad the same question. I tried to repeat his answer word for word... I started my lesson on day and night by asking them what causes night to come...why does it get dark outside? From their responses, I assure you Copernicus Jr. is not hiding in my classroom. They thought all sorts of things from the Sun hides behind the mountains, the moon gets between the Earth and the Sun, there is a switch that turns off the Sun and, my personal favorite, every night the Sun gets covered with black rocks and dust to hide it. I did my best to straighten them out today. They should all now know that the Sun doesn't go anywhere, the Earth moves in a circle and it goes around the Sun.

That's the news. Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow.

Love,
Miss Bee

No comments: