19 October 2010

October 16-20

A Moment for Gratitude
There are times in life when I complain too much. Our job is hard. We work in an area where education is valued in a very different way than we grew up with. The people who make the rules of education have no conception of what teaching is like in underserved communities and that adds to the stress. The requirements for teachers and students are absurd and frustrating and it feels like every time we turn around someone new is breathing down our neck. What I need to remind myself is that I asked for all of this. My dream when I was a naive college student was to live in the poor neighborhood where I work. I wanted more than anything to work with these kids and their families. This is what I set out to do. So yes, despite my complaints, I am thankful for my job and for the important work that we do everyday. I am thankful that I get to work with Mr. S. and I really think we are making a difference - not in the grand way my college me thought - but in the little ways that are just as significant. I am, of course, very thankful for weekends, vacations and all the wonderful time we spend as a family in between going to work.

That brings me to this weekend and the Second Annual Student Council Car Wash with Swap Meet. It should go without saying that I did NOT want to go to school at 6:30 on a Saturday morning and wash cars for 4 hours. But, since this is a moment for gratitude, I was happy to teach some awesome kids about serving their school and their community. Plus, look at their faces...they had a GREAT time!

After Saturday, I was extremely grateful for morning yoga with Mr. S. followed by an afternoon enjoying a few select beverages and dreaming about what our future will hold...

And it is pumpkin season in Kindergarten. Our hallways are full of smiling jack - o - lanterns!

Next Thursday, my friend Emily and I are taking family portraits for the Balsz community. We are so excited to be able to offer this for our families. Here we are scouting some locations around school with our handsome models. Go Em trying out some cool techniques from class!
Tomorrow night we are off to the fair!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Carlye said...

what a refreshing thing to read!

Miss all three of you. Joe just realized that with the brief exception of the wedding, it may have been a year since he's spent any time with either of you. We should correct that somehow. :)

Unknown said...

Amen daughter in law!!! You are making a HUGE difference in these kids lives. They love you two and know you care about them. Keep up the good work, and go back and read your blog periodically to remind yourself.Anytime I tell someone you two are teachers they say how awesome that is and how hard, especially kinder and sp. ed. I just wish the pay showed how valuable you really are!!!